Built on Gold
The story of Victoria’s gold - its journey and legacy in the years 1852-1862. The wealth from the goldfields funded what is widely considered one of the finest and most significant nineteenth century public buildings in Australia. The Old Treasury Building was commissioned in 1857 to store the gold bullion pouring into Melbourne from the central Victorian gold fields, and to provide offices for the Governor, the Premier and other senior figures from the colonial bureaucracy.
Today the gold vaults house the multimedia exhibition Built on Gold. This exhibition follows the journey of Victorian gold from the diggings, as it passes through the hands of gold buyers, escort troopers and occasional bushrangers.